Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bananas Foster: Homemade


Last night for dessert for my family I attempted to make Bananas Foster. I chose to make this dessert basically because I would be able to flambe and we had too many bananas. First I collected and got all my ingredients ready to go because I figured if I was lighting things on fire I should be well prepared. In a saute pan I combined dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Once the butter had melted and sugar dissolved I added my bananas. The bananas were hard to flip because they softened more than I had anticipated them to. After browning the bananas it was time for the rum. I used a dark rum that, actually, my dad got as a gift. I added the rum and lit it up. I had to use a stick lighter because my house is, unfortunately, without a gas stove. Once the flames subsided I placed the bananas and brown sugar rum sauce atop of vanilla ice cream (that quickly began to melt) and a blondie I had made early in the day.


The blondie itself was made from scratch as well and thought it might be a good sponge for the delicious sauce that I was going to make with the Bananas Foster. The blondie was composed of melted butter, flour, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar, vanilla extract, an egg and some mini chocolate chips. I only made half a recipe of the blondie because I wasn't going to need very much for the dessert. The batter looked and smelled like chocolate chip batter aside from the brownie-like consistency of the batter. I made these ahead of time so that I could easily cut and plate them in time for the hot bananas foster that was to go on top after our meal.


For the presentation of the dessert I cut neat squares of the blondie and scooped 2 scoops of ice cream on top. After I paced four banana slices on each serving and topped the ice cream with the sauce from the pan. I then garnished with some powdered sugar and a sprig of mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment